Epoxy coatings are two pack component materials consisting of epoxy resin and a hardener. The two parts must be mixed together, prior to applying epoxy floor coatings. Unlike epoxy paint, epoxy coatings cure rather then dry to form a rigid plastic material that is strong and durable.
Epoxy floor coating is used in commercial and industrial floor due to its hard-wearing and highly resilient nature. Epoxy flooring coating protects against chemicals, oil and grease, as well as being able to bear vehicle and heavy machinery. Despite withstanding what it does, epoxy flooring does not show signs of wear. It’s also easy to clean and maintain; and being seamless, epoxy flooring is a good hygienic option. Epoxy floor coatings will upgrade and optimizes the safety, durability and aesthetics of your floors. Epoxy flooring is suitable for commercial kitchens, food courts, industrial warehouses, factories, office building and more.
There are different types of Epoxy flooring which are used for different purposes:
Self-leveling Epoxy coating creates a seamless and smooth surface. Self -leveling Epoxy can be installed over new and old concrete floors as they level easily. The smooth and seamless surface makes them ideal for the movement of forklift trucks or other vehicles. Also, the seamless structure makes the floors very hygiene; doesn’t allow the accumulation of dirt and bacteria, easier to clean and maintain.
100 % Solid Epoxy floor coating is the most durable type of epoxy material in flooring system. Professional installers make use of hardeners that will allow the epoxy floor coating to dry up into solid form, as it bonds with the concrete substrate. This type of flooring system can last up to 20 years, even when subjected to heavy human traffic. 100% solid epoxy is used in surfaces that requires protection against hot tire marks, possible abrasions and from chemical reactions of chemically potent substances.
Epoxy flake floor coating this is different style of applying epoxy coating rather than a type of epoxy. Coloured flakes or chips are added over the epoxy coating while it is still wet in order to provide a decorative look. Flakes or chips are either polymer or reflective metallic, come in a wide range of colours and sizes, with your choose of density and patterns, to create an outstanding visual effect.
Epoxy Antistatic floor coating this type of epoxy coating is specially designed for static- free environment such as in laboratories, hospitals, and electronics equipment manufacturing plants
Moisture barriers Epoxy coatings are applied directly over the concrete floor to create an impenetrable surface that reduces moisture transmission to nearly zero. This epoxy coating is applied before the final flooring surface ( tile, carpet, vinyl or hardwood floors)
Water – Based Epoxy floor coating spreads out thinly and penetrates porous surfaces, its use as a primer and a sealer. This type of epoxy does not have the durability and resistance as the 100% solid Epoxy, how ever it gives a concrete surface a smooth and glossy finish with protective capabilities against stains, abrasion and chemical reactions.
Solvent- based epoxy floor coating makes use of solvents when used as floor sealer and primer, similar to the water-based type.
Install Epoxy Flooring in Industrial Buildings
The floors of a commercial space withstands all kinds of elements, hence the need for epoxy flooring in industrial buildings. There’s so much that goes on in high-traffic buildings with the movement of people, goods and equipment being the common elements. As a result, the floor of a commercial building suffers wear and tear and eventually breaks down, requiring a repair or total replacement. Durable Floors is a flooring company that provides epoxy warehouse floor coatings to increase the durability of your surfaces.
Benefits of Heavy Duty Epoxy Floor Coating
We regularly field questions from building managers about the benefits of warehouse epoxy flooring. While some are aware of the advantages of installing this type of flooring, others are researching to identify a suitable flooring solution for their premises. The truth is you’ll struggle to find a better solution for your renovation, repair or new build than heavy-duty epoxy flooring.
- Appearances are everything, especially in the commercial environment. It communicates an image to a prospective client before words are spoken. When you install epoxy flooring, you get a sleek, smooth surface that increases the aesthetics of the building. As a result, the floors help you create the perception of a professional environment and possibly sway a potential client’s decision to work with you.
- The strength of epoxy resin is common knowledge; therefore, when it’s applied to your floors, it cures and becomes incredibly strong. Since the material is durable and resistant, there’s no need to take extra care with the flooring. It allows you to work as usual with various elements in your industry. The sturdy nature of epoxy caters to the movement of people, equipment and chemical or liquid spills. It’s both heat and cold resistant and simply requires an occasional clean to ensure it lasts a long time.
- Perhaps the best advantage of opting for warehouse floor epoxy is that it’s installed with less disruption to your business. Your operation can’t afford to shut down for a few days to allow for the installation of flooring. Hence, epoxy flooring is the ideal solution as it isn’t time-consuming and can be completed without halting your production. Furthermore, once you’ve added epoxy flooring, you know that your floors are taken care of for the next few decades. Additionally, the coating protects your foundation from moisture and cracking.
As a result of the nature of epoxy flooring, it is suitable for commercial kitchens, food courts, industrial warehouses and factories.
Tips for Getting More Value from Your Commercial Concrete Floor Coatings
The benefits of epoxy coated floors are evident. Aside from contributing to the overall appearance of a building and the strength it offers, it’s generally more affordable than other types of flooring. To get the most out of commercial concrete floor epoxy, you must maintain it through the years to increase its longevity.
- While it may not be possible throughout the day, perhaps, at the end of the workday, allocate this task to a particular employee. Simply sweep the surface to get rid of foreign objects, dust, dirt and debris. When you sweep the floor, you prevent build-up and remove any substances that could prove harmful to the coating. You could use a mop to gently wipe away spillages and ensure your floor is safe to work on for the next day.
- The epoxy that’s applied to your floor seals it, meaning water and moisture can’t seep through to cause damage to the foundation. As a result, cleaning the surface is simplified. All you require is hot water and ammonia to give the floor a thorough wash. We recommend that you conduct this type of cleaning once a week, perhaps at the end of the workweek.
- If you spill a hazardous liquid or chemical, it requires immediate cleaning. Leaving it unattended results in the durability of the coating being compromised. You must refrain from using acids or soap-based cleaners as they affect the appearance of the floor and dulls the shine. Some substances such as rust may require effort from a cleaning perspective to maintain the appearance of the floor for years to come.
What To Expect from Durable Floors Regarding Warehouse Floor Coating
Since 2006, we’ve been providing high-quality flooring solutions for commercial and industrial clients. Regardless of where your building is, we’ll install your flooring anywhere around the country. Over the years, we’ve worked on numerous projects, some of which were for prominent clients such as Woolworths, Coles, Sydney Airport and ANZ Tower Sydney, to name a few. We only use Australian and New Zealand products and materials to create flooring solutions.
With over 20 years of experience in the industry, we use our skills and products to meet your exact requirement and provide exceptional customer service. The techniques that we employ allows us to keep your business downtime to a minimum, one of them being that we work through the night.
There’s no need to remove your previous surface, which is time and cost-effective. In the event that you’re uncertain about what flooring suits your operation, we’ll provide you with an analysis of product suitability and performance.
Aside from epoxy flooring, we provide a wide range of other options, including architectural terrazzite which is a surface widely adopted in heavy foot-traffic areas. Additionally, it’s coupled with a 20-year warranty to give you peace of mind for the next two decades.
Contact us to find out which surface is best for your property.