Architectural Terrazzite is a seamless polished synthetic alternative to terrazzo flooring and is designed to mimic the sheen of marble. Terrazzite was developed for the commercial market by one of the largest resin manufacturers in New Zealand Nuplex. It is an architecturally designed stone finish product that is resin-based and can be laid minimum 6mm thick on most sound floor surfaces. Very little additional weight is added to the floors. Extremely durable and suitable for heavy foot traffic areas, which makes it particularly suited for any refurbishment. Terrazzite can be laid over existing floor gives architects and designer the ability to change the old-style terrazzo or ceramic tiles to modern style seamless flooring, that is durable, has low maintains and It saves on cost and time of removing the existing floor.
Architectural Terrazzite has an excellent aesthetic appeal. The final effect is determined by both the resin base colour and the choice of Marble chips. The only limitation is your imagination with an unlimited choice of colour, chip appearance for the overall layout. The floors may be laid with colour patterns, borders, metal dividing or in any effect preferred.
There are different types of application for terrazzite to suit your needs:
Architectural Terrazzite (Polyester Based)- A blend of coloured polyester resin, coloured marble aggregate and filler can be trowelled over existing concrete, tiles or terrazzo surfaces. Polyester based system is fast curing ( 1.5 hours or drying time), which means no down time for business, a broad range of designs features and colour options with long term durability, making it ideal modern decorative floors for high traffic use.
- Standard has installation odour for 3hrs
- ZV odour free system zero volatile organic compound
Polyurethane Terrazzo (Cement Based) – uses a cement matrix, has 3 hours curing and has no odour. This system usually thicker and heavier than an epoxy system. They offer a wide colour palette and create beautiful surfaces and some can be used outdoors
Epoxy Terrazzo – uses an epoxy matrix to bind the aggregates. It has 12 hours curing time, its chemical resistance and it has tensile-compressive strengths not found in cement based systems. Excellent for multi-coloured patterns and designs and durable.
This system is lighter than other terrazzite systems it has the lowest maintenance cost due to non- absorbency. Epoxy terrazzo can be installed with minimal dividers providing seamless characteristics for sanitary areas or aesthetic.
Some samples of base and stone combination.
Using Terrazzo Epoxy to Create Attractive and Functional Floors
When you want to create flooring installations that resemble terrazzo, epoxy-based solutions offer an ideal option for high traffic areas and in spaces with special requirements. An aggregate-focused type of flooring, it is possible to create beautiful designs with multiple colours and patterns based on your specifications. When you do not want or need to replace an existing concrete flooring installation, a terrazzo floor coating is the perfect way to give it a new lease on life.
At Durable Floors, we have nearly a decade-and-a-half of successful experience in business to apply to your project today. From small installations to large flooring demands for an entire wing or even a whole structure, our proven team of professionals has the skills and equipment to accomplish the task. Together, we can achieve an excellent flooring installation that delivers years of value and dependable quality for your business.
What You Should Know About Terrazzite Flooring
Regular terrazzo involves aggregates blended into concrete, which is first allowed to set before being polished down to reveal the flooring surface desired. Our solutions, based on an epoxy resin terrazzo, replicate this type of finish without the many other involved steps usually required. What else should you know about this option?
- These solutions offer excellent value in spaces that will see a high amount of foot traffic, heavy use, or exposure to moisture and other liquids. They are just as ideal for medical centres and indoor shopping as they are for business offices and other spaces.
- There is some curing time required before the floor is ready for traffic. For epoxy terrazzo, the cure time is about 12 hours in ideal conditions. You’ll need to ensure no one uses the space with the new floor for the full duration of the cure, or else the results may not be what you expected.
- It is possible to achieve a wide range of visual aesthetic effects with terrazzo. The considerable number of coloured marble aggregates now on the market means your only limit is your interior designer’s imagination.
The Benefits of a Terrazzo Epoxy Floor from Durable Floors
Choosing flooring such as terrazzo has many benefits aside from its good looks. Many businesses choose to employ these solutions in both public and private settings based on different levels of need. What are some of the key advantages to keep in mind?
- It is easy to install epoxy terrazzo on top of an existing floor. There is no need to break up and replace an old slab only to pour a new one. In almost every case, it is possible for us to simply apply the coating to the existing floor rapidly and without much additional preparation.
- Epoxy-based floorings resist the cracking commonly found in cementitious terrazzo flooring owing to their better tensile and compressive strengths. Avoid the need for future repairs or re-pours because of unsightly cracks developing in your floors. Cracks also allow moisture to penetrate, but epoxy floors aren’t permeable to moisture.
- Achieving a seamless look is easier with epoxy terrazzo. With no need for grout lines or separate panels, we create flooring that looks like one solid piece from one end of the room to the other.
From its high degree of resistance to damage to the longevity of its good looks, it’s easy to see why epoxy resin terrazzo flooring continues to grow in popularity.
The Importance of a Reliable Epoxy Installer
Choosing to work with this flooring material can be a highly cost-effective decision, but only if you partner with the right team for the job. Why does your choice in installer matter so much?
- Proper application is essential for a smooth, polished surface following the cure. Working with epoxy requires swift, skilled hands. Your installer should have a proven record of successful past projects and the knowledge necessary to make full use of their products.
- Delivering stunning colours and visual results that you want requires experience and attention to detail. Crafting these designs from scratch is no easy feat.
- Huge projects require careful planning to ensure the prompt, safe, and effective installation of the aggregate and sealant. For example, extra time may be necessary to apply an anti-slip coating to a floor created in a hospital.
What Sets Durable Floors Apart Among Terrazzo Flooring Companies?
Knowing that you need a trusted installer, why should Durable Floors be the first call you make? Originally founded in 2006, we’ve had plenty of time to accumulate a wealth of experience. Our time on the job is far from our only differentiating factor, however. We also stand out in other ways:
- We strictly rely on commercial-grade products manufactured in Australia and New Zealand. The proven quality of these solutions inspires our confidence and delights our clients.
- We provide a 20-year warranty on all our architectural terrazzite installations. True peace of mind comes when a service provider backs up their work with action. If you encounter problems due to our efforts, we’ll return to make changes.
- Our customer service is second to none. From simplifying scheduling to determining precisely how to achieve the results you want; we stay in touch and in tune with our customers. When you have questions or concerns, we’re never far away with an answer.
We treat every project as if we were working on an installation we would use and enjoy personally so our clients can always trust in our dedication to quality.
Tips Regarding Commercial Terrazzo Flooring
Is there anything else you should know about these options before moving on to the next stage? To make your floors look as good as possible, we suggest considering a few of the following tips before you proceed:
- Think about colours, designs, and logo placements before you make any other concrete decisions. The preparations for these aesthetic elements must take place early in the flooring process.
- Factor curing time into your planning to avoid unnecessary downtime in a prominent space. Remember, it takes about 12 hours for these floors to fully harden. For areas occupied by customers or employees, finding that time isn’t always easy. Planning now allows for an orderly shut-down that lasts only as long as necessary.
- Learn about long-term care for your new flooring. While there is little you need to do in the way of special care, it is always wise to ask your terrazzo flooring suppliers for some maintenance tips. We’re happy to share what we know.
Why Should You Choose Durable Floors?
When you want stunning flooring, terrazzo is an excellent choice. At Durable Floors, we thoroughly understand how important these decisions are for a business. Not only that, but we know how crucial it is for your business to make these fundamental investments with confidence in their future value.
As an Australian-owned and -operated company, quality is vital to us. We know the results of our work will remain visible in your place of business for many years to come. With that in mind, our team works with a keen attention to detail and a desire to do things right the first time — every time.
Get in touch to learn more about how to use our skills to create or re-finish your floors.